Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The karyenda



January arrived faster than expected. 

We were beyond blessed with the Gala fundraiser. We manage to obtain double of the supplies and equipment needed and enough money to build the school with a constant teaching program and an internship from NYU to bring quality education. My heart jumps and dances with such joy I just can´t stop smiling. I just can´t imagine that none of this would happen, I feel very lucky to be part of this. Our team was bigger than ever and we had to place a camp site next to the hotel in order to have enough space for all the meeting and the supplies. My mom stayed with Noah until he could get a few days off from school and join us. Mason and Edward came with me because they were still worried about Christopher and his whereabouts.

I once read that  the first minutes of your day from when you open your eyes until you decide to stand up from bed are the most crucial in order to make your entire day a happy one or stressful. This morning I opened my eyes and only one word is stuck in my mind: Grateful. I knew exactly what I needed to do, my agenda was already set in my IPAD and my day was programmed but the feeling that was running through my eyes was simply a humble “Thank you Lord”.

And top this morning, I see him sleeping quietly next to me like it was the first time and we´ve been together since ages. Life isn´t this perfect but today I was granted with perfection, serenity, love and peaceful ways. Today, I´ve conquered my happiness and even if this is the only moment I can get, this is more than enough for a lifetime. Today, the world is a better place and heaven kissed earth in the cheeks. Yeah, too cheese but I just can´t describe it any other way.

-Someone woke up happier than usual today. - He said while rolling my hair between his hands.

-Yes. Just being thankful. - I manage to say, turning to face him and sealing his lips with a kiss.

-Breakfast in bed? - He asked me.

-Why do I have the feeling that you´re not talking about food? - I was giggling.

Just like that, perfection was invading our room and while the sun completed his appearance I was making love to the man I was intended for.





Our first week in Burundi was amazing, I got to see Edward acting like a child enjoying nature, climbing coconut trees, riding elephants and jumping from rocks into a deep river. 

The clinic was up and running, the school was pretty advanced and also the water supply was almost done. 

At night we usually had the locals visit us , bringing a feast along with karyenda. The first day I didn´t understand all the noise and why it was done, when I researched it, I found out that this was actually their way to connect earth with a Higher and divine power: “The karyenda is a traditional African drum. It was the main symbol of Burundi and its mwami (kings) and had semidivine status. The mwami was said to interpret the beatings of the karyenda into rules for the kingdom”. We were bringing rules to the kingdom but not the types of rules that govern or prohibit. We were bringing to their land what they deserved from the world to reinstate their heritage. To make them part of the circle of life. Every night, I would hear those drums and I was reminded of the power granted to humanity. Every strike would make me understand it. We were gifted with the power of change and impact in others life. That was the reason for their joy and this was simply good enough for me.


Our daily routines were much hectic than out nights, we had to wake up very early to open the clinic and provide breakfast for the school workers and the others volunteers who were helping  in the Water pump project  to provide for the community. This task was my number one priority. Every Thursday, we had the general surgeons performed their magic helping the most cases we could. The patients and their families would bare gifts for the doctors, thanking us for the healings. This is the time of the year where my heart is at its biggest with such environment of people helping each other. 

Remember when I was talking about experiencing perfection in life, this was it for me.


All the things were going according our plans…



Edith Willes.




TO BE CONTINUE

No comments:

Post a Comment