Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cosmic collisions.


According to the Internet “Cosmic Collision happens when astronomical bodies, such as comets, asteroids, planets, or even galaxies come into contact. The craters from impacts of comets and asteroids on the moon and other terrestrial surfaces in our solar system offer testimony that such impacts have been numerous and violent”. 


Oh why didn´t I see this coming?

“Astronomers have known for years that our Milky Way and its closest neighbor, the Andromeda galaxy, (a.k.a M31) are being pulled together in a gravitational dance, but no one was sure whether the galaxies would collide head-on or glide past one another”.

This is Noah´s assignment for school but it feels more like my present life. No matter how much I hide in the end we´ll collide, we´ll be “pulled together in a gravitational dance” but I wish for us to “probably glide past one another”. The conversation with Mason has being hunting me down all day.

Edward is here, I don´t know where but here.

I try to occupy myself with all the house shores, the foundation meetings through Skype, organizing Noah´s birthday for the weekend and then our trip to Africa. The day is almost over, I picked up Noah from afternoon school, we return to the house to get ready to go to Chris office.

Ruben drops us in the front of the 10 story building; we take the elevator and hit the 9th floor.

Chris always wanted the roof top view so the clinic occupies the 9th and 10th floor so he would get his city sunsets. When the elevator opens, Rose greets and takes us to Chris private office; we usually wait there while he finishes his consults, passing the glass corridor some electric current hits my face and I turn right to look. Dooms day has arrived.

We briefly looked  at each other and he raised his hand. I passed by and enter the office. I can´t feel my legs, I can´t breathe, I can´t move.

-          Mrs. Carpenter,  he would be with you in a few minutes; meanwhile he has asked me to  tell you that his friend´s husband is waiting alone outside and if you could kindly keep him company while he join both  of you.- she shoots me right there in my heart.

-          Su..Sure Rose, please let him in.-

How am I going to talk under this state of mind?

Rose opens the door, he enters and we both stay quiet. Our silence gets interrupted by my son´s politeness.

-          Good Evening how do you do, I´m Noah. - Noah extends his hands and introduces himself.

-          Hi Noah, My name is Edward Woods. How do you do? - He shakes his hand and looks at me.

-          This is my mom, Edith. Mr. Edward are you from England?-

-          Well, yes I am. Very clever young man. How do you do Mrs. Carpenter.- He extend his hands and holds mine for eternity.

-          Hello Mr. Woods, Nice meeting you.- And I force my hand out of his to avoid fainting.

Rose enters the room to bring beverages for Noah and coffee for us, I interrupt her.

-          Rose, our guest would prefer an Earl Gray tea please. Noah can you accompany Rose and get some of the history books you love from the studio.

-          Ok Mom. See you Mr. Woods.

Edward agrees with his head. They both leave the room and I finally have the courage to face him.
-          You planned this? Sending Mason to my house this morning and then coming here? How dare you Edward!!!

-          Mason what?? What are you talking about?? I have looked for you everywhere and no clues or signs of you. You left me remember! You left ME!

-          Because you were married and your father almost killed my mother. I wasn´t going to stay and let him ruin my life more than it was.-I spit, yes Senior is a monster.

-          Your life was ruined, what about mine?? What about mine????- He raised his voice.

-          Edward control yourself, it´s not just us anymore!

-          Fine… agree to see me. Please! We need to talk in private. Please.

Before I could answer we were not alone anymore, Christopher returned with Noah and Mrs. Woods.

-          We´re ready for Dinner?  Honey, Please meet my dear friend Debbie. Debbie, please meet my Edith.- He said as we both shaked hands and I saw Edward´s look when he heard my husband´s introduction.
-          Debbie, this is my son Noah. - She hugs my son and Christopher decides to speak too much.- As I told you Debbie,  these two were my salvation. I adopted Noah when he was 1 year old and I would do it again.

I started looking at the ground to ask it´s mercy and be swallowed until no one could see me. When I raised my eyes Edward´s expression was inexplicable and looking straight at Noah.

-           Ok, Who´s ready for some Dinner.- Christopher said.

-          I´m starving CC.- Deborah Woods said

CC? oh yeah, Christopher Carpenter.


We took the first elevator but it was full so Debbie, Noah and Chris went first. Once again I was left alone with Edward.

-          Edith, I´m running wild in my thoughts right now and I would like to avoid a scene. Can you agree to meet me and explain all of this because I just can´t process it.

-          If I agree to meet you in private, would promise to never tell anyone what we discuss in our meeting. 
- I made him swear.

-          Yes, I promise.

-          Fine, where do you want to meet? And please don´t tell me in the hotel you´re staying, ok?


He suppressed a smile and agreed.




A very shocked Edith Carpenter.

TO BE CONTINUE

No comments:

Post a Comment